The Law Office of Charlie Shane, PLLC

Grandparent and Third

Party CUSTODY Rights

Under certain circumstances, grandparents or third parties can obtain custody and control of children without the consent of the parents. It is no easy task and, thanks to the United States Supreme Court, grandparents and third parties do not have inherent rights to custody of the children. In order to obtain custody of children, grandparents must show that the parents of the child are not just bad parents, they must show that they are unfit parents. This can be proven in various ways but is extremely difficult. Like a parenting plan modification, the grandparent my show the court that there is "adequate cause" before even proceeding forward with the case. At the law office of Charlie Shane, we have represented grandparents and defended parents in these types of custody battles.

If you are a grandparent or third-party that is caring for the child of unfit parents and want to take measures to protect your grandchild through the courts, please give The Law Office of Charlie Shane a call at (206) 201-3655 or email us.

On the other hand, if you are a parent facing an attack on your parental rights by a grandparent or third-party who is caring for your child, please call, (206) 201-3655 or email us as soon as possible.

Family Law attorneys